Hemanth A Rao, an IT professional based in Bengaluru, is the founder of India’s foremost whisky club, Single Malt Amateur’s Club, founded in 2011. Single malt whisky has been his passion since the late ‘90s and he has been on an exploration ever since.
Hemanth’s favourite whiskies are Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Brora, Ledaig, Springbank, Benriach and GlenLivet. Closer to home, he loves Amrut Spectrum, Amrut Amaze, Amrut Peated CS, Paul John Select Cask Peated and Paul John Olorosso.
- Favourite drink memory: Signatory Ardbeg 1974.
- Favourite Bar: Swansong, Singapore.
- Favourite drink: Single malt whisky.
- Favourite Cocktail: Penicillin.
- Best city to drink in: Bengaluru – because it is home!
- Best bottle I’ve been given as a gift: Highland Park St Magnus 12.
- We need more women behind the bar because: Women are gifted with better senses. It’s exactly what you need your bartender to be – being able to recognise and sense what is the best dram for the customer.
- Plastic straws are: History.
- My favourite bartender: Is someone who can make me a great cocktail from a whisky of my choice.
- Whisky is for: Creating sunshine in the darkest of moments.
- My favourite bar accessory: Spirit aerator.
Favourite drinking game: Picking who is driving back!